Planning for a Successful Career
Whether just beginning college or approaching graduation, the Center for Career Development can help you explore majors and careers, seek internships and develop professional and job search skills. Career Development is also here to help you prepare for future success either in assisting with your job search or by pursuing advanced degrees.
We know that this is a time of uncertainty for many, but rest assured that we remain here for our students and alumni! We are in the process of transitioning into a virtual world. Take a look at virtual services that we are offering:
- Career Consulting Appointments: We offer remote access to career consulting appointments. Schedule an appointment through Handshake and select "Phone" or "Zoom" (video) as the appointment medium. Please include the preferred phone number when scheduling and the Consultant will send specific appointment information to the email that is liked with Handshake.
- Zoom at Noon Virtual Webinar Series: These webinars are hosted by the Center for Career Development's Career Consultants on a variety of topics, including: Resume Basics, Interview Strategies, Virtual Interview Tips, Portfolios and Job-Search Letters.
- Virtual Programming: We have a series of virtual evening programming as well! These workshops include: Mind Your Manners - A Virtual Etiquette Dinner, Mind Your Manners Part 2 - Professional Etiquette, Tips and Techniques for Virtual Networking and Social Media in the Job Search presented by MassMutual.
- Handshake: Handshake is the ultimate virtual tool for a student or alumni's career. From here, users can continue their search for part-time jobs, internships, and full-time opportunities no matter their location. The "Events" tab has information on an array of virtual events hosted by both our office as well as employers..
The Center for Career Development prepares students to pursue successful and meaningful careers by offering innovative career planning, job search, and employment resources. We facilitate lifelong career management by helping students develop the necessary professional skills to become contributing members of their workplaces, communities, and world. The Center for Career Development creates partnerships by serving as a central link among students, faculty, employers, and alumni.
Integrity to uphold the ethical standards of Duquesne University and of the career services profession as defined by the Duquesne University Mission and the National Association of Colleges and Employers.
Respect to act with a spirit of service and demonstrate kindness, compassion, and consideration towards all.
Learning to promote student development by actively engaging students in a self-directed career management and job-search process.
Excellence to exceed the expectations of our student and employer clients in all interactions and provide the highest quality programs and services.
Stewardship to encourage students to identify, develop, and apply their skills and talents in order to make a positive contribution to their workplaces and communities.
The Center for Career Development happily supports the community in which we live.
- In the office - Staff members participate in Jeans for Charity program. We each donate $50 every six months to a charity chosen and agreed upon by staff members which allows us to wear jeans on Fridays. In addition, we wear a tag displaying the charity's logo and also display a sign in our office for visitors to learn about the program and charity. We have donated to North Hills Community Outreach, Alzheimer's Association, Gilda's Club, and Global Links to name a few.
- On-site - Each year we partner with a charity and get out into the community. We're amazing with plasterboard and paint, as well as hammers and drills! But we're also adept at wrapping gifts during the holidays and we can tie a mean bow!